This will just be instructions on how to make this healthy yogurt. At oru farmshare when our milk cows freshen they give an amazingly rich colostrum. We give this first to the calves, then I bag and save all the rest. Some goes to neighbors who have newborn calves and no way to get the colostrum, now I have heard about this immune booster I will be making some of this and sharing with members.
1 quart raw milk
1 T colostrum
1 t probiotic powder (the best probiotic yogurt starter culture)
1/2 c raw milk
Yogurt Starter Culture (this needs to be a different culture than used earlier to add probiotics) or 2-3 T of live kefir (not the grains)
- let one quart of raw milk sit at room temperature in a glass jar with the lid on until it comes to room temperature. Leave two inches of space at the top of the jar.
- In a small pan, add 1 T colostrum, 1 t probiotic powder to 1/2 c of raw milk that has been lightly warmed. Wisk until smooth.
- Pour into the jar with warm milk. Stir thoroughly . Make sure it is NOT hot.
- Sprinkle yogurt starter culture on top of jar and let set 2 minutes. Stir in a packet of yogurt starter culture.
- usually will achieve a yogurt consistency in 12 hours or less, depends on room temperature.
- Hold the proportions steady to make more or less yogurt.